Your digestion also has a role to play in the health of your skin. If you do not eliminate toxins and waste regularly, it can tell on your skin through eruptions. So it is crucial you add fiber from fruits in your diet. However, don’t pick up any fruit at random. If you do, your insulin levels can spike, result in more cortisol production and lead to more breakouts. You need fruits that are low in sugar but also have the nutrients to fight your acne.
Thankfully, some foods can fight your acne, and those foods should be your best friends when you are trying to cure these nasty breakouts.
Top 10 Foods for Acne Treatment
Fatty Fish: Fatty fish like salmon and mackerel are replete with Omega-3 and Omega-6 essential fatty acids. These acids reduce inflammation, which can lead to clogging of pores and subsequently acne.
Nuts: If you have a deficiency of selenium and zinc, you can get acne. Hence, look to eat more nuts, which are a powerhouse of selenium, iron, copper, potassium, magnesium, Vitamin E, and calcium that your skin needs to keep healthy.
Avocado: This fruit is rich in Vitamin E, a vitamin that is vital for the health and wellbeing of the skin. Avocado also contains Vitamin C, which is a natural skin moisturizer and helps in reducing skin inflammation.
Red Grapes: The flesh and seeds of red grapes contain antioxidants that help in fighting skin inflammation. So by eating this fruit, you can soothe your skin, especially if your acne stems from an allergic reaction.
Fennel: Fennel is a potent skin cleanser and can remove toxins from the skin which can result in acne. The root has a taste similar to licorice, but it can boost your digestion and also reduce the inflammation caused due to acne.
Artichoke: Artichokes are rich in antioxidants, particularly Vitamin C, and fiber. So besides aiding in optimal digestion, artichokes can work wonders for your skin and help in clearing the blemishes.
Garlic: Garlic has been used since time immemorial for a range of health issues. It also contributes to fighting acne. Garlic contains a chemical called allicin, which kills harmful pathogens from the body. So look to include garlic in your diet to fight your acne.
Strawberry: Strawberries are rich in antioxidants, which can eliminate free radicals. These free radicals cause premature aging of cells and acne. Free radicals oxidize sebum to form an acne-producing product called squalene peroxide. So if you eat strawberries, you can prevent acne from occurring as the antioxidants from the fruit can destroy free radicals before they can work on the sebum.
WaterMelon: Watermelon has the unique ability to produce nitric oxide in your body. This occurs due to the presence of an amino acid called L-Citrulline. When you consume watermelon, the L-Citrulline gets converted to L-arginine, which is needed for the production of nitric oxide. The nitric oxide, in turn, aids in healing acne. Just make sure the flesh of the watermelon is bright red when you consume it to derive maximum benefits.
Pomegranate: Out of all the fruits, pomegranate has the highest content of antioxidants. So, add it to your diet to prevent oxidation of sebum, which causes blocked pores and acne. Pomegranate is also anti-inflammatory in nature and can soothe acne inflamed skin.
If you are a vegan, you can add fruits to your diet to treat your acne. However, if you are looking for specific acne treatments that are apt for vegans, here are some that you will love.
Acne Treatment for Vegans
One of the best things about being a vegan is that you do not consume dairy products, which can result in or worsen your acne. However, some other acne treatments are perfect for vegans.
Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar has antibacterial properties. However, look to use just raw and unfiltered vinegar.
• Wash your face with cool water and pat dry
• Mix one part of apple cider vinegar in three parts of water
• Dip a cotton ball in the diluted vinegar solution and apply on affected parts of your skin
• Let the solution stand for at least 10 minutes before washing it off with water
The vinegar can destroy the acne-causing bacteria, remove excessive sebum, and also restore the pH of your skin.
Raw Papaya: Raw papaya can get rid of excess sebum from your face and also combat inflammation. So it is perfect for vegans looking to treat acne.
• Take a fork to mash the raw papaya in a bowl until it is smooth like a paste
• Wash your face with cool water and pat dry
• Apply the raw papaya paste on your face
• Let it stand for 15 minutes and then rinse thoroughly with water
You will find your skin feels smoother and softer after this application. Continue using this remedy until your acne disappears.
Tea Tree Oil: The antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of tea tree oil are legendary. So you should hesitate to incorporate it in your acne-fighting endeavors.
• Dilute the oil with the help of aloe vera gel. The proportion should be one part tea tree oil to nine parts aloe vera gel
• Dip a Q-tip in the mixture and gently smear it on the breakouts
• Let it stand for 15 to 30 minutes before washing it off with cool water. You can also leave the tea tree oil overnight to work its magic
The healing properties of tea tree oil can help reduce bacteria and also get rid of excessive sebum.
There is no doubt that acne requires a multi-pronged approach. So besides eating acne-fighting foods or applying honey and lemon topically, you should also fight acne from the outside by regularly applying face masks that help to treat acne.
Home Remedy For Acne – Face Mask for Acne
A homemade face mask for acne is not just about getting rid of breakouts. The mask can also help to reduce the visibility of acne scars so that you get back your confidence and self-esteem. Some of the ingredients in a domestic face mask help nourish your skin so that it looks revitalized and alluring.
Honey and Cinnamon Face Mask:
You already know how honey can treat your acne. So it makes sense to create an effective face mask using honey. Both honey and cinnamon have antimicrobial properties that help to minimize acne-causing bacteria on your skin. Together, they form a potent combination that is extremely effective in eliminating acne.
• Mix two tablespoons of honey with one teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Blend until both ingredients blend
• Wash your face thoroughly using a mild soap and water. Pat your skin dry
• Apply the blended honey and cinnamon mixture evenly on your face
• Let it stand for 15 minutes before washing it off with lukewarm water
Egg White Face Mask:
Although it sounds yucky, apply an egg white face mask will not just reduce acne but also lighten the scars left behind by previous breakouts. Egg whites also contain protein and vitamins that aid in healthy cell production.
• Separate two to three egg whites from the yolk
• Whisk the egg whites until they are frothy and creamy
• Set aside for a minute or two while you rinse your face with cool water
• Dry your face with a soft, clean towel
• Use your fingers to apply a thin layer of egg white mask on your face
• Allow the layer to dry before putting another layer. You should be looking to apply three to four layers of egg white
• Let the mask stand for about 20 minutes
• Rinse thoroughly and pat your skin dry
Within a few applications, your skin will become smoother and softer. The reason for this is egg white face mask removes excess sebum and also gets rid of old, dead skin cells.
As stated earlier, topical methods to fight acne are just not enough. You also need to be careful about your food intake. Today, most people do not eat enough fruits and veggies, and a lack of these foods can result in acne breakouts. So if you think you are not eating fruits regularly, it is time to change your eating habits.
Get Smoother and Blemish – Free Skin
Acne can plague people right from their teenage years to adulthood. You do not have to spend money on expensive OTC acne products, which can often be ineffective. Try these natural remedies to treat acne. You can get the right results with consistent use and that too without breaking your bank.